When it comes to working with online social media, I would say that I know the basics. I am no pro at it and am very new to the world of blogging, but I have been a part of the generation that is fairly obsessed with the basic social media apps (Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, VSCO, YouTube). There are other popular apps such as Twitter and Facebook where I have some basic knowledge about, but they are not apps that I typically use and have never really posted much if anything on. The apps that I am comfortable using are great at being able to connect with others and learn about what is going on in their lives. Many people will post photos on their Instagram accounts about what exciting things are going on with them while they may post more casually on their Snapchat or their VSCO. The apps are also good at being able to reach out to people whom you may not have any other way of contacting by direct messaging them.
These forms of online social media have proven to be very powerful when it comes to promoting social action over the last few years. With the power of reposting, social media is able to spread information all over the country and even the world which has saved lives and brought awareness to several topics with the power of hashtags and accounts set up specifically to raise awareness.
I think a huge potential of digital media in urban classrooms and all classrooms when it comes to ELA could be the convenience of it. Having a digital device tends to lead to students carrying them around with them as they move throughout the day. So, if the students are carrying their devices with them, they may be more likely to write down any thoughts that they may think of or ideas to bring up in class that they make note of on digital media platforms. An example of something similar to this was noted in the Cultivating Digital and Popular Literacies as Empowering and Emancipatory Acts Among Urban Youth article when Yolanda mentioned regarding her students that she “observe them composing poems and other narratives on their phones, e-mailing the texts back and forth to one another for comments, writing to one another in the same room,” (Haddix & Sealey-Ruiz, 2) which is amazing! The connection between students could grow with the power of digital media in an ELA classroom and lead to the potential for so much collaboration and engagement which could help reduce the number of missing assignments since they are not losing as many paper assignments due to the material being digital. The benefits of the digital world seem to be increasing rapidly!
Although there is great potential for digital media access in an ELA classroom, there are also drawbacks. Not everyone is comfortable using digital media so making it a requirement for students could lead to several difficulties. Parents may not want their children on these digital media platforms which a teacher would have to respect and work around, some children may not have access to the same things as others. Another potential problem could be “schools, afterschool programs, and parents have distinctive roles to play as they do what they can in their own spaces to encourage and nurture these skills,” (Jenkins, 6) which could cause problems if the students do not get that specific help they need to succeed. Sometimes digital media skills do not come easily to students just like any other form of learning. They need people around them to help them succeed and if those people whom they reach out for help also don’t know what to do, problems can and will arise.
I loved the example you gave from the Haddix & Sealey-Ruiz reading about how accessible and interactive technology can make student learning, especially when it's done on something as "simple" and universal as a cellphone. Cellphones, as the article mentions, are usually treated as something "dangerous" or off-limits in the classroom, when in actuality, they can be a bridge for students to engage with their learning and the work their peers produce. Do you see yourself encouraging cellphone use in the classroom? Or do you think the distractibility aspect of it will deter you?
ReplyDeleteWhat a great resource the picture you posted is!! I have always wondered how social media can be used for student learning since I've never really experienced it from the student end. I have to say that one of the most enticing platforms for me to use in my ELA classroom would be Pinterest since it's one of my personal favorites if I want create mood/aesthetic boards to go with my ideas/readings, and I could see students having fun doing the same for something like their choice book to share with their classmates!
The infographic you posted is wonderful. I think because there is so much social media and media apps that students can sometimes get lost into what they are looking for. The graphic lays it out very clearly; some students might like videos more so they go to youtube while others like pictures and visuals in quick thoughts so they join instagram.
ReplyDelete- Charlie
Drew, I appreciate your attention to the different learning curves involved in digital literacies. While some are absorbed through social practice, others will need more explicit modeling and mentoring. This is a strong insight to take forward into your teaching.
ReplyDelete