Social justice books are very relatable for some of their readers and should be something that more people welcome into their personal libraries. Reading about a topic that may hit close to home is something that could be a very comforting thing for some people, while for others it may be a bit triggering.
When it comes to English, there are a lot of different opportunities for what direction you want to focus on in regard to books and their topics. For my Inquiry Blog Topic, I plan on exploring the topic of
Social justice in young adult literature books. My understanding of this topic is mostly just basic information; the main goal is to put other individuals' lives into perspective. Creating this perspective allows the reader to create a level of empathy, and more of an understanding toward the main character(s). There are several different topics that are included in the term "social justice" which allows an even larger audience to be able to potentially connect or find ways to connect to it. When I think of a potential question I have regarding this topic that I may focus on, I think about the question: why are so many people against talking about this subject in schools? Depending on where the school is located, gun violence and other social justice topics could be very real things for the students. People should be more aware of the topics these books cover instead of being banned from talking about them. Currently, I am in an MPS school where there have been students who have lost their lives to gun violence and/or have lost friends or family members because of it. Social justice involves everyone; it should not be a topic so heavily debated, which is why that is something I would like further exploration concerning.

Although some books involved in this topic may not be for everyone due to everyone having a different personal situation, all of the books are eye-opening for readers no matter your background. I am interested in seeing the variety of ways each author addresses the topic(s) and how they may or may not relate to each other in some way. Social justice books have been actively written about for many years by a wide variety of authors such as Angie Thomas, Jason Reynolds, Brendan Kiely, and so many others. The topic is slowly becoming more popular, though, in the last few years as these social issues have been making more news headlines and gaining attention.
The topics these books cover should not be something that goes ignored, and I believe bringing them into a classroom is a step in the right direction. Below are some resources I have gathered as I begin to dive deeper into the topic of Social justice in young adult literature books.
- What is Social Justice Literature? (Fable.co)
- What is Social Justice? (youtube.com)
- Teaching Social Justice through Young Adult Literature. | Jacqueline N. Glasgow | (jstor.org)
- Incorporating Social Justice in the Curriculum | Lorena Germán | (edutopia.org)
- 10 Creative Ways To Use Diverse Books in the Classroom | Cicely Lewis | (weareteachers.com)
Hey Drew!
ReplyDeleteI am interested to see how your topic evolves as you learn more about it. Like you mentioned there is so much going on right now in the world of social justice and many new books that tackle that issue. I am wondering if it's addressed at all in Common Core. Since I'm not a teacher yet I don't really know how social justice would fit into curriculum but I've heard there can be quite a bit of leeway depending on where you teach. Good luck!
Rigel
Hello, Drew! I admire how committed you are for trying to solve injustices in our society. It is shocking what you comment about some of the students at your schools that lost their lives or their families to guns and shootings... That is sorrowful... If you are interested in other resources about social justice, there is a psychiatrist called Jordan Peterson, who delves into many and very societal issues in the US and Canada. Maybe it would give you some good insights or points to discuss about. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteHi Drew! I love how you are using broad strokes to encompass a variety of young adult stories into your texts! I feel like this would create a very intriguing class and allow students to read differing stories that all relate back to a well-established theme like social justice in young adult literature/stories. I love how you point out that you describe these books as eye-opening for readers because they enable learning for all students. Great work and I'm looking forward to hearing more!
ReplyDeleteDrew, this is a great topic. There are so many new works coming out in YA literature by such talented authors. I'm also impressed with all of the YA novels in verse that are also emerging and pushing the genre. I look forward to seeing what texts you gather for your students to read/view on this topic.
ReplyDelete